Getting Started



At first glance it may seem a bit confusing so here is a summary of how it all works. Please call us if you need any help or advice 0208 841 5506.


In order to take training for CBTs and full licences you are going to need either a provisional UK or full (car) UK or Northern Ireland licence. E.U. licences are acceptable only if supported with a D91 confirmation of registration certificate. No other international licence is acceptable, depending on country of issue It may be possible to exchange.

NEW CAR LICENCE RECIEVED with cat "A" a pic. of a motorcycle, dates and either (79), (79)3 or (79) tri in box 12

Be aware that the DVLA haven't kindly granted you a free bike licence. The (79) restrictions means that as a car licence holder you may have gained a TRIKE licence, ie. a 3-wheeler licence for a DEL BOY Robin Regal type of vehicle. Sorry to disappoint, you will need to pass your bike tests.


You must successfully complete a CBT training course and gain a DL196 certificate in order to ride legally as a learner. At 16 years you may then ride up to a 50cc moped restricted to approx 28mph and at 17 years and over up to a 125cc 15bhp max motorcycle or scooter. The CBT is valid for 2 years and has to be retaken if you haven't passed your full licence. CBT restrictions:- No passengers, motorways, trailer towing or riding outside the UK are allowed and you must fit front and rear L-Plates.

One exception to the rule is if you passed your UK car test prior to 1st Feb 2001 by default you are permitted to ride a 50cc moped/scooter without a CBT and no L-Plates are required.

It would however be sensible to take a CBT course if you have no previous experience.

Provisional UK Licence holder
:- to ride 50cc and up to 125cc a CBT is required
The information in this website is for general information purposes only, We endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations of any kind, about the accuracy, reliability with respect to this information. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. If in doubt check with the DVLA and DVSA. See our terms & conditions.

Become an Instructor

We are always interested to hear from interested persons.

Whether qualified or not as we can provide in house training scheme for persons wanting to work for Passmasters Rider Training.

Call us to check availability.

Our Services

Member Associations


Training Centres

Sudbury Hill, Middx, UB6 0HX

Lane End, Bucks HP14 3JU

Tel: (0208)) 841 5506

© 2020 Passmaster Rider Training Web Design by JWD Ltd